Critiques at 2008 New England Conference
As in past years, the 2008 SCBWI New England Conference will offer the opportunity for one-on-one manuscript and portfolio critiques with publishing professionals.
Critiques will take place during Saturday workshop sessions. You must be registered for Saturday’s conference in order to have a critique. You must pre-register and submit materials for a critique prior to the conference. The critique registration postmark deadline is March 7, 2008.
The fee for a critique session is $45 for SCBWI members, $55 otherwise. The form to register for the conference and apply for a critique session is here.
Here is what to send along with your registration form and check.
• Send a sample of no more than ten (10) pages. A synopsis of a novel or a lengthy cover letter will count toward those 10 pages. Additional pages will be removed.
• On the first page of your manuscript, in the upper right-hand corner, please indicate the approximate word count of the whole document.
• Indicate the type of work (e.g. picture book, MG, YA, etc), plus the genre (Fiction or NonFiction, Contemporary, Historical, Fantasy, SciFi, etc.).
• For information on proper manuscript formatting, see the “From Keyboard to Printed Page” article under SCBWI Publications.
• Bring your portfolio to the consultation. Do NOT send original artwork in advance. SCBWI New England and the Crowne Plaza Hotel will not accept liability for damage to artwork originals.
• You may submit art samples (copies) of no more than three postcards OR 8½” x 11” sheets with your registration form & payment.
Critique Rules for All
• Spaces will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Only one (1) critique per attendee.
• Space will only be assigned after you have registered and paid for the conference.
• An email confirmation will be sent when we assign you a space.
• If all spaces are assigned, you will be notified by email and your check and submission will be available at the conference registration table for you to pick up.
Here is a list of all the critiquers.